Welcome!

I'm James Maxey, the author of numerous novels of fantasy and science fiction. I use this site to discuss a wide range of topics, with a heavy emphasis on cranky, uninformed rants about politics and religion and other topics that polite people attempt to avoid. For anyone just wanting to read about my books, I maintain a second blog, The Prophet and the Dragon, where I keep the focus solely on my fiction. I also have a webpage where both blogs stream, with more information about all my books, at jamesmaxey.net.

Instagram

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Useful spam

"In the worst incident, masked men burst into a bar in Uruapan and flung five human heads onto a crowded dance floor in an apparent warning to a rival drug gang. I didn't get to start writing until night time!"

Actual quote from a bit of spam that was in my email today. I'm not in the habit of reading spam, but my eye caught the words "human heads" and "dance floor" and my darker instincts drew me in. The spam was trying to sell me stock in some company, which makes me curious about the link between the human heads and the company. Just what, exactly, are they selling? In any case, I'm glad I read it. If I ever blow a writing deadline, I now have a pretty good excuse in waiting.

3 comments:

Rick Novy said...

My understanding is that these spammers grab text from any random source to try to fool the filters. It seems to work, because I constantly get these things, followed by a .jpeg or .gif message with the same penny stock as the last six consecutive emails had.

I actually researched one of these things, just out of curiosity. What the spam claims, and what the stock actually does are completely different. There must be enough people stupid enough to buy the things to make this worthwhile for the pump and dump crowd.

Mr. Cavin said...

Well. This is weird because it is a story I covered on my blog (which is linked to yours). I do not figure I was too very egocentric to start blaming myself immediately for your somehow receiving this quote as spam, but in looking over the two posts I wrote discussing the Uruápan incident (here and here), none have the same exact wording. So I guess this is not my fault after all. But I am still sorry.

James Maxey said...

Mr. Cavin, I should have known I could always turn to you as my primary source for news of severed body parts.